Intersections in Real Time

Saturday, April 16, 2005

A Voice in the Wilderness

Nothing goes on forever. Not falls, not you, not I, not love, not life. Entropy consumes everything. We all hit bottom, sooner or later.

"There are only two possibilities. If you hit bottom, then you are dead. If you did not hit bottom, you are still falling and all of this is a dream. Unless .. you are in-between."
"Between what?"
"Between moments."
"Tick, tock. Tick, tock. Always running out of time. Yours is almost used up. You're between seconds, lost in the infinite possibilities between tick and tock. Tick, you're alive. Tock.. Well, it was a good life, but a short one. Tick, tock, tick, tock, tick--"

"You're closer now, aren't you. Yes, I see you are. But closer to tick or closer to tock? I don't know. Only time will tell. And here, between the moments, we have all the time in the world."

"You can't turn away from death simply because you're afraid of what might happen without you. That's not enough! You're not embracing life. You're fleeing death. And so you're caught in between, unable to go forward or backward. Your friends need what you can be when you are no longer afraid, when you know who you are and why you are and what you want, when you are no longer looking for reasons to live, but can simply be."

"You must let go. Surrender yourself to death. The death of flesh, the death of fear. Step into the abyss, and let go."

"What does the candle represent?""Life.""Whose life?""All life, every life. We're all born as molecules in the hearts of a billion stars, molecules that do not understand politics, policies and differences. In a billion years we, foolish molecules forget who we are and where we came from. Desperate acts of ego. We give ourselves names, fight over lines on maps. And pretend our light is better than everyone else's. The flame reminds us of the piece of those stars that live inside us. A spark that tells us: you should know better. The flame also reminds us that life is precious, as each flame is unique. When it goes out, it's gone forever. And there will never be another quite like it."

Bluebird flying high, Tell me what you sing. If you could talk to me, What news would you bring Of voices in the sky?
Nightingale hovering high, Harmonize the wind. Darkness your symphony, I can hear you sing Of voices in the sky.
Just what is happening to me? I lie awake with the sound of the sea Calling to me.
Old man passing by, Tell me what you sing. Though your voice be faint, I am listening. Voices in the sky.
Children with a skipping rope, Tell me what you sing. Play time is nearly gone, The bell's about to ring. Voices in the sky.
Just what is happening to me? I lie awake with the sound of the sea Calling to me.
Bluebird flying high, Tell me what you sing. If you could talk to me What news would you bring Of voices in the sky? Voices in the sky.
Voices in the sky. Voices in the sky - Justin Hayward, "In Search of th Lost Chord", 1968

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home