Intersections in Real Time

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Between the Darkness and the Light

"My words are inadequate to the burden of my heart" -0 Marcus Cole, Babylon 5

Watching Star Trek makes you realise just how well crafted and episode can be. I have recently spent time watching 6 episodes back to back. A bit of a Trek fest I admit but if you cannot enjoy yourself in this life, then when can you?

Some of my dreams relate to pokey second hand shops, you know the kind, or at least I do. On my many travells to various places I have spent time seeking out such places.

When I was in Derby me plan would be to find a place, such as Nottingham, and go to the library, find the yellow pages or somesuch directory and look up the locations of all the second hand bookshops. Then I would travel to Nottingham, find a location of the shop on a street map and proceed to find it.

Often this involved walking some considerable distance, and on finding the shop and entering would immediately ask if they had a science fiction section. Usually this would entail a reasonable half bookcase full of paperbacks, usually situated at tyhe top, back or other out of the way place. I would ensconce myself infront of the bookshop and start to look through the books.

Dependant of the selection a large or small pile would nigh on be accumulated at the front desk. I wiould generally extend my questions to the proprieter to cover art books, encylopedias and/or reference, but rarely literary criticism or biograpghies as usually the books in this section would be about more mainstream authors, I might be lucky to find a Wells or a Tolkien.

So my "dream" shop would have shelfs stuffed full of items and corners and dusty places hidden away.

Why do I write stuff which I already know and that no one else will read?

Maybe I've been watching too much Star Trek.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home